machozi

Is this reality or are we all living in a dream...sweat blood and tears are common factors in each individuals life, Am I any different?

Saturday, March 18, 2006

The HIV Question!


Was talking to a friend the other day about how I was warming up to the idea of Mr Trouble coming down and I was asking her for ideas as to what we should do that night i.e dinner, bar or stay in… anyway while we were planning the night, she asked me if he uses protection when he’s sleeping with other girls and when was the last time he had a HIV screening…For a moment I was a little taken back by the questions but what freaked me out even more was that I dint even have an inkling of an answer to these questions....I’m a firm believer in protection and I’m making appointment for my next screening in a few weeks, so okay that’s me in check but what about him?

Me and Mr T have talked about sex on many occasions so its not like the topic has never come up. I was warming up to the idea of him coming to c me and if we really clicked then we would hook up….but now I’m not so sure.. Considering we’ve been talking for a month now and I haven’t seen him since the night we met. How do I even approach the subject without getting ahead of myself?

Taking a step away from my situation.. Generally when going through the initial dating stages of getting to know each other, at what point should you bring it up ?From my experience people are still willing to shut their eyes and jump into shark infested water pretending that shark wont get them!!! and as much as it’s a dating faux pas to talk about the Ex’s it seems that asking about each others views on protection and when their last HIV Screening was, is the ultimate faux faux pas ...

Asked by the guy early in the dating stage makes the guy seem too eager to get into the girls pants.. asked by the girl in the same situation and this may send the guy one of two signals.. either the green light signal that means she’s up for it or red light that meaning that’s she sleeps around.

We need to get out of this cloud and accept that HIV is here to stay at least for a while and its in our best interests if we are going to have sex that we open up and talk about these things without being judgemental… fumbling for a condom in the dark jus wont cut it anymore!

So taking my own advice, this week I mentioned to Mr T that I was making an appointment to get a HIV test and asked him when was the last time he had one done.I think it was nerves but I really rushed thru that question and jus as luck would have it, he dint hear it properly so I had to basically spell it out for him. He told me it was a couple months ago when he changed his insurance. Glad that I had an answer to the question…something else crept into my head and I started thinking well its great that he’s had the test but how many women has he been with since his last test? My dilemma is in now trying to figure out how to ask him to get another test done, without seeming like I want to tie him into a relationship and scare him away..

5 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Guessaurus said…

    I would walk on this one with a 'protect yourself' mantra in your head. Your life is yours alone and whatever he reads into your intentions, just make sure that you have YOU in the picture. Good luck Machozi

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Milonare said…

    Hey Machozi

    As a guy I'd respect a gal that come right out and told me that she wouldn't date a guy that hadn't gone for a HIV test and didn't plan to keep going on the regular.

    I wouldn't read any "I down for whateva" or "put on these relationship handcuffs" into it if it came across in normal conversation. Especially if she's describing her beliefs to me as part of my getting to know her better.

    Dilemma or no dilemma, remember that its your life you are talking about here...

    All the best!

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger kipepeo said…

    I can feel you on the dilema. then i always wonder, what if he said he had the screening, but really didn't coz he's so sure of himself? All it takes is one time with the wrong person and thats it! All this stuff is too scary...but I go for just ask...protection before image!

     
  • At 1:42 AM, Blogger Stunuh Jay said…

    Yowzer, HOw is it that you manage to get all the hot topics ina relationship? Trust me I'm taking notes and keeping references! Enyewe I think the idea is to spell out your expectations in the beggining. If you expect to sleep with me I expect to see your latest results... I'll show you mine if you show me yours. And then again, what are the odds that you do get to boom boom #1 when he comes a knocking? Ok Maybe that was a dumb question....

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Anya said…

    I think this is a very relevant topic..i think i would take a cue from one of my pals..for her whether she is having sex with a guy or not they both have to go for the test together for what assurances does she have that he has gone for one when he says so....as in that really challenged me....its really a hard topic to bring up...but its always good to remember how deadly the disease and other sti's are...its so much worth a few uncomfortable moments

     

Post a Comment

<< Home